Friday, June 25, 2010

Key Lime Cupcakes


Key Lime Pie is one of my favorite desserts, so when I volunteered to make cupcakes for a friend's birthday party I was happy to be reminded that she loves Key Lime too. So the search was on for a perfect recipe.

None of my trusted resources had a specific Key Lime Cupcake recipe, I had to improvise. I found this recipe for Lemon Meringue Cupcakes. I used only the cake part of the recipe and replaced the lemon zest and juice with key lime zest and juice. I tested one when they came out of the oven to determine how limey the frosting should be. The cake had a nice mild lime flavor, so I didn't have to hold back on the frosting.

I had toyed with the idea of doing a graham cracker crust on the bottom of the cupcakes, but instead decided to sprinkle the crumbs on top. The finishing touch was a slice of key lime dredged in bright white sparking sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment