Thursday, April 29, 2010

Happy Birthday to the Sous Chef


The Sous Chef's birthday was last Friday, I'm a little behind on my posts. I thought I had every thing ready on Friday to make the cake, new deeper cake pans, an offset spatula, and food coloring to get creative with the frosting, then I discovered I had no flour sifter. I used to use a sieve, but I melted it making quinoa a few weeks ago. There was no time to run around town looking for a sifter, there were kids to pick up at school and dinner reservations to be ready for. The cake would have to wait until Saturday.



With a new sifter in hand I made a chocolate cake recipe recommended to me by my sister. The recipe says there will be enough batter for 3 8-inch round pans or 2 8-inch square pans, I used 2 9-inch rounds and though they baked for a bit longer, they turned out nicely. The height of the cake was perfect. For the frosting, I made an incredibly decadent Swiss Meringue Buttercream. I was slightly intimidated by this frosting, tempering and whipping up egg whites usually causes me to look at other recipes. But I went for it and it was pretty easy. The finished product is a rich, buttery, delicious frosting that is really easy to work with and a perfect companion to a moist and dense chocolate cake.

The birthday boy loved his cake, that of course is what's most important. Happy 35th Birthday to the best husband and Sous Chef a girl could have!

No comments:

Post a Comment