Thursday, March 11, 2010

Kid's Choice: Quiche Lorraine


I had a leftover pie crust in the fridge so I used my subtle powers of persuasion on the boys to choose quiche for Kid's Choice night. They were excited, they love egg and cheese pie.

Coincidentally my sister made Quiche Lorraine this week also. Her's is a fancy French Culinary version. I am a complete klutz when it comes to pastry, so the store bought crust is more my style. I have made this recipe many times. For the cheese, I usually use Gruyère, this time I used Emmentaler. It was good, but I will go back to Gruyère next time.

















refrigerated pie crust
8 bacon slices, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
4 green onions, chopped
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
6 large eggs
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 t. salt
1/8 t. ground red pepper
1/8 t. ground white pepper
1/8 t. ground nutmeg

Fit pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate; fold edges under and crimp

Bake at 400° for 7 minutes; remove from oven.

Cook bacon pieces in a large skillet until crisp; drain on paper towels, and crumble. Sprinkle bacon, green onions, and 1 cup cheese into prepared crust.

Whisk together eggs and next 4 ingredients; pour mixture into crust, and sprinkle with remaining 1 cup of cheese and nutmeg.

Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until set. Let stand 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment