Sunday, January 31, 2010

Dinner Tonight: Roast Pork Loin With Garlic and Rosemary


This roast pork loin is one of my go to recipes. It is so easy and delicious. Tonight I served it with steamed broccoli, chipotle sweet potatoes, and the red stuff that looks like tomato sauce is actually homemade applesauce. It is red because I added cranberries, I have bags of them in the freezer left over from the holidays.

My boys love homemade applesauce. I think it's because of the chunky texture and that it is served warm. Like the pork, it is really easy to make:

3 pound apples, peeled, cored, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
1 cup water
1/3 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
2 1/2 T. fresh lemon juice
1/2 t. ground cinnamon

Combine apples, 1 cup of water and brown sugar in heavy medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until apples are very tender, 25 minutes. Uncover and simmer until almost all liquid in pan has evaporated. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice and cinnamon. Cool for 30 minutes.
Using fork (I use my handheld potato masher), mash apple mixture until coarse and chunky. Serve. Leftovers are good for up to 3 day in the refrigerator.

Now that our bellies are full we are going to watch the Grammys. We just found out school is closed tomorrow, so we can handle a late night!

1 comment:

  1. Jeepers. I never think of making my own apple sauce, which is so dumb because I always have apples and never have apple sauce. If I do have apple sauce, It's been used once and then sat in the fridge for 3 months...

    I love those chipolte sweet potatoes.

    ReplyDelete