Saturday, January 9, 2010

Tonight's Dinner: We Are Ready For Some Football


Today there was no special ingredient laying about in the fridge or cabinets. The inspiration was football! The boys in my house (I am outnumbered 3 to 1) have been looking forward to this weekend. I have to admit, I love it too. NFL playoffs are very exciting!

With football as an inspiration, what's a girl to make? Nachos! After last night's cream and butter calorie marathon, I felt it best to search Cooking Light for a nacho recipe. Boy oh boy oh boy, did I find a good one! Pork and Pinto Bean Nachos.






















My husband and I really enjoyed this. The pulled pork was perfect. The chipotle, lime, and the fresh crisp onion, tomato, and avocado in the topping created layers of flavor. The kids, however, found it too spicy and missed my regular ground turkey with Ortega Seasoning. So no pics of the kids tonight, they wouldn't endorse it.

This is a "light" recipe, I have a couple ways to make it a little lighter. Let's start with the bacon in the bean mixture. It calls for an apple wood smoked bacon and I found some. Wonderful and nitrate free, but twice the price of your average bacon. It's fine because I want to try to incorporate more nitrate free meat (bacon and lunch meats) into our diets and I need it for tomorrow night's dinner also. The nacho recipe only called for 4 slices, but I feel it is unnecessary. The bean mixture was very flavorful before the bacon was added and the flavor of the bacon, once added, did not come through. Another thing you can cut back on is the olive oil. A little bit here and there.

My final verdict on this dish is great for adults, for kids, not so much. Perfect Super Bowl Party fare. I wish I could still say, Go Redskins!!! Maybe next year......

No comments:

Post a Comment